Electricity is transforming our nation's transportation sector. Today, the technology and infrastructure exist to promote vehicles that move both people and goods using electricity as a fuel. This new generation of electric transportation will help the nation reduce its dependence on foreign oil, diversify this sector's fuel mix, and enhance U.S. energy and economic security.
At Mississippi Power, we are using Plug-in Electric Vehicles (PEVs) to diversify our fleet and pool car options. Along with promotion of the PEVs, the pool cars save the company money for employee mileage reimbursement and rental vehicle costs. The PEVs also reduce operating costs, due to lower fuel and maintenance costs.
Many benefits exist when using EVs for fleet cars:
- Electricity prices are significantly less volatile than oil, allowing you greater control over fuel costs.
- Electric miles are cheaper than gas miles.
- EVs require much less maintenance than gas vehicles.
- Tax credits and incentives create ROI.
- EVs contribute to a more sustainable, efficient business boosting your "green" profile.
Electric forklifts are one of the most widely used material handling vehicles. Although lift trucks have traditionally been fueled by propane gas or diesel fuel, more than 61 percent of forklifts currently purchased are electric.
Here's what electric forklifts carry into your facility:
- 40 percent lower maintenance costs
- Up to 80 percent lower fuel costs
- 30 percent longer life than internal combustion vehicles
- Better air quality
- Smoother handling
- Less noise pollution
- Even less downtime, thanks to fewer moving parts
All of this adds up to $1 or more per hour savings in operating costs for each vehicle. Why would you use anything else?Calculate and Compare Costs
Electric cranes have several advantages over diesel cranes. They reduce air and noise pollution, and cut operating and maintenance costs. They are also more efficient. When a crane is going up it is using energy, but when it is going down it's regenerating energy.
Different types of electric cranes provide different benefits to companies. Ship-to-shore and gantry cranes are common in ports and intermodal centers.
- A ship-to-shore (STS) is a rail-mounted dockside crane that transfers containers to and from ships at port.
- A gantry crane straddles stacks of shipping containers and moves containers on trucks and rail cars.