Mississippi Power is proud to be at the forefront of Mississippi's energy economy by adding renewable energy to the company's diverse mix of energy resources. As part of this commitment, we are providing customers a new option to generate their own electricity using a renewable energy resource like solar energy and sell the excess electricity generated back to Mississippi Power.
To begin your journey toward a solar-powered home, first start the process of researching whether solar is right for you. A number of factors will determine if you will benefit from solar power at your home.
Below are some helpful tips to get you started:
- Find a qualified solar installer to guide you through this stage of the process. Mississippi Power recommends using a qualified solar installer certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP). NABCEP is an organization that trains and certifies renewable energy professionals.
- Determine if a solar PV installation is both technically and financially feasible for your home. This can be done by discussing the feasibility with a qualified solar installer.
- When evaluating the financial feasibility of a solar PV installation, you should obtain estimates of the solar system installation cost, projected energy savings and any revenue from selling excess energy generated to Mississippi Power.
- Determine if any financial or tax incentives are available. See a list of incentives.
- It is also recommended that you evaluate potential energy efficiency improvements that may reduce the amount of power you need. This may be the easiest and most cost-effective way to lower your energy bills. Once you have thought about these steps, you may consider connecting to the grid.