Working to Protect You and Your Information
Things you should know when doing business with Mississippi Power:
- Mississippi Power will never send an employee to your home or business to collect payment.
- Our employees will never call or visit you and request your personal or financial information.
- If an employee has a service-related reason to visit, they will ALWAYS:
- Wear a Mississippi Power uniform or apparel with logo.
- Arrive in a Mississippi Power vehicle with our logo.
- Present a photo I.D. with the Mississippi Power logo.
If you have reason for concern or suspect a problem, please call Mississippi Power to verify I.D. at 800-532-1502.
Unauthorized Phone Calls or In-Person Collection Visits
Criminals have been known to call or visit customers, claim that the customer's account is past due and that their electricity will be disconnected if they do not provide payment immediately. Often, the customer is asked to purchase a pre-paid debit card and provide the account number on the card. With access to the account number, the criminals use the money on the pre-paid card for their own benefit. Both residential and commercial customers have been victimized by this unethical tactic. Criminals operating in Mississippi and other parts of the Southeast, have frequently targeted senior citizens or those speaking English as a second language.
Mississippi Power does not call or visit customers to ask for personal or financial information like a credit card, debit card, banking information or social security number over the phone.
If you suspect that someone is coming to your home or place of business impersonating a Mississippi Power employee:
- Call your local police immediately.
- Call Mississippi Power at 800-532-1502.
- DO NOT let the individual inside your home or business.
- DO NOT go outside with the individual.
- DO NOT provide them with your account number or any personal or financial information.