Quality of Life
From Meridian to the Gulf Coast, visitors can take advantage of beautiful parks, year-round festivals, exciting sporting events and live music performances to satisfy a broad spectrum of interests. There is something for everyone in Southeast Mississippi.
In downtown Meridian, the Mississippi State University Riley Center features a beautifully restored 1889 grand opera house theater. This stunning facility plays host to exciting art and entertainment events throughout the year. Further south, outdoor enthusiasts can take a relaxing ride on South Mississippi's premier biking, running, hiking and equestrian trail in Hattiesburg. This 41 mile rails-to-trails conversion project stretches from Hattiesburg to Prentiss, providing a peaceful retreat from a busy day with beautiful vistas.
The Gulf Coast is a major tourism destination. Baseball fans can catch an exciting game at the newly constructed MGM Park to watch South Mississippi's minor league baseball team, the Biloxi Shuckers. Casinos offer non-stop gaming action and nationally recognized entertainment. Visitors can also enjoy world-class golf courses and deep sea fishing excursions, water parks, children's museums and a variety of shopping venues.
Additional attractive features include:
- Cost of living 10 percent lower than national average
- State-of-the-art medical technology
- Over 300 annual festivals
- Average temperature of 65 degrees
- Over 35 national and state parks
- Museums around every corner – celebrating everything from natural science to the blues
- Over one million acres of hunting land and abundant freshwater and saltwater fishing